US readers can order from Amazon US or click on the image below:
UK readers can order from Amazon UK or click on the image below:
See my YouTube video and step-by-step instructions for making a handmade fabric button below.
How to make handmade fabric buttons step-by-step
Where I got my materials from:
You will need:
- curtain rings 3 cm/1 inch in diameter
- volume fleece
- scrap material in various colours
- pelmet interfacing
- sewing needles
- embroidery thread
- cotton thread
- eyelets and eyelet setting tool (I used a Crop-a-dile)
- Cut the volume fleece and scrap material into a circle, about 1cm (half an inch) wider all round than the curtain ring.
- Stitch a basic running stitch around the edge of the material and volume fleece. Make sure you have the correct side of the material on top. Pull the thread to wrap the material around the curtain ring. Tie a knot to secure.
- Cut out a circle from the pelmet interfacing. It needs to be slightly smaller in diameter than the curtain ring. Cut out a circle from your scrap material, about 1cm (half an inch) wider all round than the pelmet interfacing. Stitch a basic running stitch around the edge of the material. Pull the thread to wrap the material around the interfacing. Tie a knot to secure.
- Placing the two sides together, sew the back to the front of the button using a simple slip stitch.
- Mark the position of where you want to set the eyelets and punch two holes in the button. Set the eyelets using your eyelet tool. I used a Crop-a-dile.