CONNECT WITH ME ON:
I don’t know about you but I collect recipes from family and friends but don’t know how to store them. At the moment I keep them in a messy pile in a dilapidated plastic folder. So the idea of creating a recipe journal / scrapbook was born.
I have no idea what to call the book as it is a cross between a scrapbook and an art journal. So I decided to decorate the cover with my favourite quote instead:
“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade cakes, cookies and other tasty treats.”
I also wanted it to have a chalkboard art style like you sometimes get in restaurants and pubs. Watch a video of how I created the cover and see more photos and a step-by-step outline below.
For the complete playlist of my recipe journal go here: Recipe Journal YouTube playlist
You will need:
Kraft cream page scrapbook (I bought mine from Paperchase)
Dark card (I used So Wool Blue Jersey 250 gsm from Paperchase)
White gel pen
Faber Castell Pitt Pastel pencils, white, blue and red
Acrylic paints (I bought mine from Hobbycraft)
Gel medium or craft glue
1. First of all I created a rough sketch of the layout. I usually draw and paint all the elements separately so I that I can change my mind and discard anything that doesn’t work. You don’t have to do this but it works for me.
2. I copied the sketch onto card and went over the line again with a white gel pen.
3. I then used a pastel pencil and acrylic paints to add colour. I used a dry brush and not very much water to create a chalky effect.
4. When I’m happy with all the elements I cut them out.
5. I cut a square to fit in the middle of the cover and then drew a border around it.
6. I arranged everything before I finally glued it all in place, which is one reason why I cut things out because I can change my mind at any time.
7. I used a pastel pencil to create a chalky effect around the edges.
So there we have it. Here’s the cover finally decorated ready to add my recipe pages.