I have a few watercolour paintings I did a while ago that, although fun to make, didn’t quite work so they’ve been stored in a folder for months, if not years. I decided I liked the texture and colours on them, so I cut them into squares of dark green, mid green and light green. When I created the Pea and Mint Soup page in my recipe journal, I decided to use the paintings as a form of collage.
This soup recipe is incredibly easy and quick as you need very few ingredients. You can also download a pdf of the pea and mint soup recipe by clicking on the link: Pea and Mint Soup recipe
CONNECT WITH ME ON:
For the complete playlist of my recipe journal go here: Recipe Journal YouTube playlist
Step-by-step instructions for making a recipe layout for pea and mint soup
You will need:
Kraft cream page scrapbook (I bought mine from Paperchase)
Yellow, blue and white acrylic paints
Scraps of dark green, mid green and light green paper, I reused an old painting that I cut into squares
Craft knife and cutting mat
Bright pink paper and white gel pen
Gel medium and an old paintbrush
1. Add a layer of gesso to the background and let it dry. Create a mint green colour by mixing blue, yellow and white acrylic paint. Paint it onto the background leaving it rough and textured around the edges.
2. Draw a simple shape of a spoon on a piece of scrap paper to create a template. Draw around it onto cream card. Draw a small oval shape onto white card, cut it out and glue it to the centre of the spoon.
3. Create a template for the bowl and draw around it onto a piece of light green card. Cut it out with scissors. Cut out a narrow oval shape, using a template as a guide from a scrap of dark green card. Glue it to the top of the bowl.
4. Write out the recipes in pencil first to make sure it fits and then go over it with a black pen.
5. Draw the shape of a pea pod onto a scrap of dark green paper with a pencil, or recycle an old painting. Go over the line with a black pen and then cut it out with scissors.
6. Draw a very simple shape of a mint leaf onto a mid green scrap of paper with a pencil. Go over the line with a black pen and cut it out with a craft knife on a cutting mat.
7. Paint a circle using yellow paint mixed with white to create a background for the title. Use dark green paint to write the title. Paint “Soup” in a yellow colour and contrast it with a dark green background.
8. Glue everything in place on the background using gel medium.
9. Add a splash of pink in the form of a jug with a serving suggestion on it.
10. Draw the shape of the jug onto pink card. Cut it out and write the serving suggestion with a white gel pen. Glue in place.
11. Add a touch of Distress Ink around the edges.