CONNECT WITH ME ON:
I collect recipes from family and friends but don’t know how to store them. At the moment I keep them in a messy pile in a dilapidated plastic folder. So the idea of creating a recipe journal / scrapbook was born.
I decided to divide the scrapbook into sections and I’ve created a page that marks the savoury recipe section called:”Tasty Dishes and Yummy Treats”.
I’ve created it to look like a chalkboard with “Today’s Specials” of the type you may get in a restaurant or pub.
Watch a video of how I created the page above and see more photos and a step-by-step written outline below.
For the complete playlist of my recipe journal go here: Recipe Journal YouTube playlist
You will need:
Kraft cream page scrapbook (I bought mine from Paperchase)
Layout pad and pencil
Faber Castell Pitt Pastel pencils in white and red
White gel pen
Acrylic paints and paintbrushes (I bought mine from Hobbycraft)
1. The scrapbook has very smooth thick paper, so coat it with gesso first. The gesso is a primer for the chalkboard paint to be used next.
2. Use a dry brush and very little water and leave the edges to look rough.
3. Create a design on a layout pad and use this as a reference. Copy your design using a white pastel pencil. The great thing about using chalkboard paint is that it allows you to you erase anything that you don’t like.
4. When you are happy with your initial outline, use a white gel pen to draw in all the other elements.
5. Use orange, blue, and yellow acrylic paints and a very dry brush to add colour to your design. The acrylic paints look like chalk if you don’t use much water.
6. Use a pastel pencil to create a smudged chalky effect at the edges.
Join me in for my next post where I’m going to decorate the final section.