I love this idea of creating a vintage / retro library card and pocket that can be added to any art journal or scrapbook.
You can decorate the library card however you wish or even add your name. I also decided to add embellishments such as a wooden key.
CONNECT WITH ME ON:
For the complete playlist of my recipe journal go here: Recipe Journal YouTube playlist
You will need:
Kraft cream page scrapbook (I bought mine from Paperchase)
Free template for the library card
Free template for the library pocket
Tim Holtz Distress Ink, Tea Dye
Black and red archival ink pad and alphabet stamps
Craft paper in various colours
Craft knife and cutting mat
Embellishments (I used ‘London Market’ Ephemera)
Brads and a bradawl
Step-by-step instructions for making a retro library card and pocket
1. Download a free template for the library card from the internet. Or just type in a search for vintage library card template.
2. Print the template to the size required on card and then distress the edges using Tim Holtz Distress Ink.
3. Decorate the top with a chipboard key, string and a miniature peg (optional), tying it in place with a bow.
4. Stamp a motto with alphabet stamps (optional). But you can decorate it however you wish.
5. I downloaded a free template for the library pocket from Tip Junkie.
NB. Make sure the library pocket fits around the card. Adjust the printer settings if necessary.
6. Cut out the template for the pocket using a craft knife on a cutting mat.
7. Score the fold lines and fold the flaps using a paper folder.
8. Use a circle cutter to cut a semi-circle at the top of the pocket (optional).
9. If you haven’t used double-sided patterned paper, you may want to decorate the pocket on the inside.
10. Glue another piece of craft paper on top using gel medium (optional).
11. Glue the flaps in place.
12. When everything is dry, trim the edges.
13. Glue the pocket to a white card to create a border around it (optional).
14. Glue two pieces of craft paper together to create a background (or use one piece).
15. Use Distress ink to define the edges.
16. Stamp a motto on a circular collage piece with alphabet stamps (optional) and attach the decoration to the front of the library card pocket using a brad. (A button would also look nice instead).
17. Glue the pocket to the background.
18. Use brads to decorate the edges of the pocket (optional).
19. Glue the pocket in place on the back of the front cover of your art journal or scrapbook.