The great thing about painting butterflies is that it is very easy to do and you’ll find it very relaxing.
CONNECT WITH ME ON:
How to paint a butterfly
You will need:
- click here to download a butterfly outline template (This template is for personal use only)
- red, green, blue, black, white paint
- paint brushes
- black pen
1. First of all draw the outline and go over it with a black pen. Alternatively, download my free butterfly template
2. Use black paint to add colour to the butterfly’s body. Here I’m using gouache paint, but you could use acrylic paints.
3. Next create a decorative border around the butterfly’s wings. Make sure that each side of the butterfly is symmetrical, although it doesn’t have to be perfect.
4. As an alternative, you could paint the edge of the wings using blue paint or any colour you choose.
5. You can now add more colour to vary the pattern and texture of your butterfly. Add more colour to the centre of the wings.
I chose green as it contrasts with the black border.
6. Add the paint in such a way to give a textured look to the wings.
7. Add a rose pink to the centre of the blue butterfly as it contrasts well with the border.
8. You can also add red to your butterfly or any colour that contrasts well with the borders you’ve created. I also added red dots to the green butterfly.
9. Now it’s a case of just adding more texture to the wings, using as many colours as you wish.
10. Finally, add highlights to the wings with white or even red paint and the butterflies are finished.